Thursday, April 17, 2014

Why Miniatures?


Hello Dear Miniaturists,

It’s been a while since my last post.

Last time I talked about miniature scales, so I thought this time I would tell you how and why I got into this hobby.

          I was living in the Halifax area the year I graduated from high school. While shopping in Halifax one day I stumbled upon a dollhouse miniature shop. I was in total awe of the dollhouses, furniture and everything else mini.

I decided to save my money to buy a dollhouse, but just before I graduated from high school I found out that I was moving to Germany, so I decided to hold off on buying a dollhouse because it would have to go into storage for the duration of my stay in Germany because I was limited on how much stuff I could take with me.

One day while on a 10km volksmarch (organized walks), I walked past a miniature Schwartzwald (German) style house in someone’s yard. I was like, OMG! So my friend (who is also interested in minis) and I went back to the house and discovered that the man who lived there built the miniature house. We asked him if he would build a house for each of us, and he said yes!

My friend and I also found a German company, Bodo Hennig, which sells miniature furniture, however, the scale was not 1/12th, but it seemed to fit our dollhouses quite well.

Since moving back to Canada, I have rescued 2, 1/12th scale dollhouses from yard sales that had some wear and tear, but salvageable. I was elated to find out that these houses were worth hundreds of dollars. I have also purchased a miniature lighthouse which is almost finished. My dollhouses and lighthouse will have to wait until I move back to Canada, for me to complete them.

Because I live in Korea I am limited to smaller projects such as room boxes, display cases and miniature foods. I currently have some projects under works, so I will keep you posted.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment