Monday, April 21, 2014

Happy Earth Day! April 22, 2014

Happy Earth Day Fellow Earthlings!

Today I thought I would honour Earth by sharing some ideas, tips and projects that are related to the 3 R's of the Earth!

Reduce, Reuse & Recycle!

As a miniature crafter (and global citizen), I always try to RE-duce the amount of waste I make, RE-suse as many materials as possible and to RE-cyle all my materials!  The great thing about miniature crafting is that the amount a materials is usually minimal and I usually RE-use the left over materials in future projects.

I also try to RE-duce my household waste by RE-using as many items as possible. For example, I tend to RE-use cardboard paper such as cereal boxes, and scrap paper. I use bottles or cans to hold tools like pens, pencils, paint brushes etc. I also use plastic see through packaging for windows or any projects that require it! Coffee grounds (let them dry really well) can be used for outdoor dirt scenes.  And anything that does make its way to the trash is recycled into plastics, paper etc..

So please reduce, reuse and recycle!

I thought I would share some pictures of recyclable ideas or projects that I made from RE-using RE-cycable items! Please note, I plan on doing a future post about printable projects, so I won't go into to too much detail about the actual printable projects, but instead focus more on the recyable aspects!

The following pictures of the miniature lap top computers, TV and other items were all made from recycled paper!





See these little scraps of paper by the TV, they too can be recycled or reused for other miniature projects!



The tissue box sitting on top of the TV was made from scrap pieces of paper from a school class project!
Some of these boxes were made from scraps of paper from a school class project!

This notebook folder was made from scrap paper from a school class project!


The following pictures are popsicle sticks that are being used to make a wooden floor. I am currently working on a wine display where these flooring pieces will go. More about that later :)
As you can see, I used a pizza box to hold the popsicle sticks as I was working. This eliminated using any paper towels and there was not much to clean up. The other great thing is that this pizza box has been used over and over!



 
 
Miniaturists...don't throw away any household items! Find a use for them. In this case, I had some picture frames that I had aquired but didn't need. I decided to RE-use them to make a display stand for a Korean food stand display that I am going to make soon. If timing goes well, I should have some stands made by next month! So far I have made ddeokboki! Please stay tuned for that one!

Picture frame RE-purposed!
Fellow miniaturists and crafters, please reduce, reuse and recycle!

Please leave your recycling and reusing ideas in the comments! Would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment