Sunday, April 5, 2015

Happy Easter 2015!

Happy Easter Everyone Near and Far!

I hope everyone had a great Easter. This year instead of buying and eating chocolate, I decided to make an Easter cake!

Happy Easter!
My mom baked an Easter bunny cake for us when we were kids, but I never thought about making one in miniature until I watched a joannesminis Easter bunny cake video on YouTube. I will post the link to her video at the end of this post.

The materials I used (I hope I didn't leave any out):
polymer clay (white and black)
pink (and purple) 3D paint
purple and pink craft sand
card stock
plastic sheet from packaging
craft foil (easier to work with and doesn't tear easy)
x-acto knife
clay blade
scissors
disposable nail file
Modpodge matte finish and brush for application
tacky glue
clay roller
circle clay cutters (I used 3/4" which works out to a 9" real life cake)
craft mat, cutting mat and ceramic tile for clay
Some of the materials I used!
Making sure all surfaces are wiped clean (to avoid very noticeable little dust particles sticking onto the clay), I rolled out the clay and cut using circle clay cutters. For each cake you need to cut out 2 circles. One circle stays as it is and the other circle you need to cut out 2 ears (using the circle cutters makes it so much easier) leaving a third piece as the bowtie.
2 cakes: Leaving first one as is, and the 2nd using cutters cut out 2 ears leaving a bowtie.
After baking according to polymer clay instructions and having let it cooled, I sanded the pieces using a nail file to make it smoother and to give it a cleaner look!
Easter bunny cakes after the clay was baked and before or after sanding! (can't tell!) The bigger one is for a 12' doll.
Next I painted the top inner part of the ears with the 3D paint and added craft sand. I used pink paint and purple craft sand on some and purple paint and pink craft sand on others. Allow this to dry and shake off excess. Then glue the remaining top surfaces and side surfaces and sprinkle with white shredded polymer clay. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of this part.

I wanted to use the multi-purpose adhesive and wall size product that was used in joannesminis video, but I couldn't find any at the local hardware store :(    So I am now on the lookout for some. In case you haven't watched the video yet, the multi-purpose adhesive and wall size product basically looks like miniature shredded coconut. Unfortunately, my coconut doesn't look as good as I had hoped it would.

At this stage of the craft you can basically decorate anyway you'd like. Actually you can decorate it anyway you'd like for the ears too! I haven't decorated all of them yet, but for the first few I used licorice. For the licorice I rolled black polymer clay into snakes and cut pieces for eyes, nose and whiskers :) I was going to use 6 whiskers in total (3 on each side of his face), but I found that it looked to crowded and gloppy.

For the tray (or cake plate, not sure the proper baking term) I cut pieces of card stock and covered it with craft foil. Craft foil is not like kitchen tin foil in that it doesn't tear as easy and it is lighter (more like a gum wrapper consistency).

As a finishing touch, I made some boxes with plastic windows to showcase the Easter bunny like they would do at a bakery.
Help! Let me out!
Did anyone order a bunny cake?

Happy Easter!
I will get around to showing more mini-New Zealand pics as soon as I get the items photographed. Plus, I have some projects in progress I plan on sharing with you. If you have any questions or if you have anything Easter related or otherwise you would like to share, please post in the comments below.

Stay tuned!

Joanne's Minis Easter bunny tutorial YouTube video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzANYXVvuM4

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It look's so easy.....I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anita :) It is easy to make, but I'm no expert! lol Please share pics of yours, can't wait to see how you decorate yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! Thanks for posting! Can you share an image of Mom's cake to compare- they look so much alike, it's amazing! Too bad you can't eat cake now, after all that prepping, baking, and decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lana :) I would have shared the photo of mom's cake, but I don't have a copy of that picture. I will ask mom if she has it. Better that I bake in mini! No calories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work, Lisa. My mother made real cakes like that when we were kids too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz :) Making these Easter cakes sure brings back great memories for me :)

      Delete