Thursday, May 1, 2014

Book Review & May's Happy National WHAT Month?

Hello Dear Miniaturists :)

First I was just going to post about National What Month? (more about that later!), but stop the presses! I'm really excited because I just received two new books in the mail about miniatures. One is about miniature displays and the other is about making miniature foods.
I decided to showcase just one in this post, which is going to be about making miniature foods, mainly because I've been on a food kick lately.

Making Miniature Food and Market Stalls, by Angie Scarr.

The author and artist Angie Scarr, I discovered, also has a YouTube channel with videos explaining and demonstrating some of the foods she has listed in her book.
Although I haven't tried making any of the miniature food yet (just received the book in the mail!), I thought I would share some things I've noticed just by glancing through it.
 
This book is mainly about making miniature foods with polymer clay. It starts with an informative introduction about polymer clay, clay tools, mixing clay colours and safety tips. This is especially beneficial for beginners.
 
After the introduction, the book is divided into five main parts. The first four parts being classified into different food typess and the fifth part (what I consider to be an added bonus) is how to make a food stall, some tablewear and food crates.
 
Food stalls include a bakery and deli, a meat, a fruit and vegetable and a fish stand.




 
The author and artist, Angie Scarr, explains that the food is listed from easiest to less easier. So after I get started I will let you know!
 
Each food item has a materials list, a colour mixing guide and the artist's method to create each food item. Also each step is numbered with a corresponding individual numbered picture, which makes it seem easier to follow along.
 
I plan to put this book to the test and create some miniature foods. I will keep you posted!
 
 
May is National WHAT Month?
The month of May has some delicious national food celebrations, not to mention some interesting food days! Let's not forget about Mother's Day! It's not a food holiday, but certainly worth mentioning!
 
To celebrate these national month and day foods, I plan to create them, or some version of them, in miniature.
 
The following are some interesting monthy foods:
- National Barbeque Month
- National Egg Month
- National Strawberry Month
- National Hamburger Month
- National Salad Month
- National Salsa Month.
 
There are also some special food days coming up, which I will definetly be sharing with you :)  Can you say wine, cheese and chocolate?
 
Please stay tuned for future miniature posts and have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for mini-salsa! That's going to be some serious tomato dicing! Seriously, how are you going to make salsa look detailed? Crazy sauce! (get it? because 'salsa' means 'sauce' in Spanish!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...yes I get it! Stayed tuned to find out how I make the salsa! I am hoing to have it finished and posted by next week :)

      Delete