Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy National Orange Juice Day!


Happy National Orange Juice Day!


National Orange Juice Day was May 4th. To celebrate I made some orange slices and orange juice.


Orange Slices

To make the orange slices I used 4 colours of Kato clay: Orange, transparent, white and beige.
First I mixed orange with a very small amount of white to make a slightly lighter orange colour. This colour is for the outside and the inside. For the inside I also mixed it with a lot of Kato transparent. Once the inside colour was mixed, I shaped it into a cylinder shape. I cut it in half 4 times to add the white mixture in between the halves. Then I pressed firmly on the outside of the cylinder from the middle outwards to work out any air bubbles that may have formed.
The white mixture was made by adding an extremely small amount of beige to give it a less bright white colour.
After I added the white mixture between all 4 halves and worked out air bubbles, I added a thin white strip to the outside.
Then I added the orange (without the transparent) to the outside.
Again I started to press firmly to the outside working my way from the center to the outsides. After I pressed and stretched I then started to roll it out to a thickness that would be suited to 1/12th scale.
Once they were rolled out to the size I wanted, I then sliced them and added texture with a needle tool to make them more realistic. I baked them on the lowest temperature according to the baking instructions. The transparent bakes at a lower temperature.




 
 
Orange Juice
To make the orange juice I used Mod Podge Dimensional Magic made by Plaid, plastic caps from mechanical pencils (cups), and some orange and yellow chalk pastels.  A big thank you to my friend, Peter, for getting the Dimensional Magic from Canada for me!
 
I mixed the dimensional magic with mostly orange chalk pastel and a wee bit of yellow. Then used a toothpick to add the mixture into the cups. After seeing the finished product, I feel that the orange juice is a little too orange, but for now I will think of it as Tang. 
 
For an added touch I put orange slices on the cups!
 
Voila...orange juice!


Please comment if you liked my orange juice or if you have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions!

Please stay tuned for future miniature posts. Take care :)

 



3 comments:

  1. Did you make the jug, or was it a purchase?
    Also, I've been wondering, are you ordering your supplies online, or did you find a source in Korea? You should do workshops for some of your Korean teachers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, as for workshops, I would love to have workshops for teachers and students. For now, I am doing clay art with my kindies and grades 1 and 2.

      Delete
  2. No, I didn't make the jug or the cups. The jug was from a previous purchase and the cups are from the eraser caps from mechanical pencils.
    I order my supplies online from a Korean supplier. crama.com

    ReplyDelete